Last weeks “Tip of the Week” motivated a friend to get her desk in order. But she emailed to say, “Help I don’t know where to start!” I told her that it can be overwhelming to look at the entire desk. So:
#1: Take everything and put it in one big pile so things are not spread out everywhere. (her actual picture)
#2: Start with the very first thing on the pile and take action on it. Then take the next thing and take action on it. Just work your way down the pile. Don’t pick and choose, just work on whatever is next.
It may take time, but you will get it done. Sometimes the hardest part is just doing it!
1. You can get work done
2. You are less distracted and can focus on whatever deserves your focus.
3. Others perceive you as “taking care of business” (whatever that ‘business’ is).
4. You can find what you’re working on.
5. Your peace of mind increases.
6. Clutter creates chaos and you don’t want a desk that says you are in chaos.
7. An orderly desk is easier to keep clean (physically) when you don’t have to clean around piles and messes.
8. You won’t have to apologize for your workspace.
9. The likelihood of things getting lost or buried decreases dramatically.
10. When you walk into your office and the desk is neat, clean, and orderly, you feel great!
by Meggin McIntosh, Ph.D. | The Ph.D. of Productivity™